Paludarium 54L - Journal

Sesarma bidens/Pseudosesarma moeshi (Red Clawed Mangrove Crab) was the main reason for commencing this project. Like many other crabs even this one needs access to land. I would like to keep a few of these crabs responsibly, meaning successfully. Happy crab-keeping! :-)

5/3/07

Crabs and fish. Good combination?


In the last few days lots happened inside my crab paludarium. Two of my Dwarf Puffers disappeared and I also found one dead crab (female) on the land part.
It has been known that Puffer flesh is poisonous, and that leads me to the conclusion that one of my crabs died because of eating the Puffer. The other Puffer disappeared two days latter, so I am expecting to find another dead Crab. Dead Crabs smell very bad, so all I need to do, every day, is to stick my nose into the tank to check out.

After the dead crab was removed I changed 60% of the aquarium water and introduced some floating Cabomba and Egeria densa, to make sure all possible ammonia is gone.
Two days latter I introduced two more crabs (male and female, now total of 4 crabs).

As one can see on the first 2 photos, the female is carrying eggs under her tail. And just after a day she released the larvae into the water. Yesterday I discovered thousands of tiny, 1mm small, free swimming zoeas all over the tank.
The last photo poorly represents the Pseudosesarma moeshi zoea. It is very hard to make a good photo quality without a back light.


Photos by Dusko Bojic.